Cardiac and Thoracic Surgery Associates is Colorado’s busiest minimally invasive cardiac surgery program. All of our surgeons utilize minimally invasive approaches to a variety of operations whenever possible. In a typical year, we perform over 100 minimally invasive operations.
Minimally invasive cardiac surgery is performed without dividing the breastbone like traditional ‘open heart’ surgery. These approaches may include video imaging or robotic-assisted surgery using the da Vinci® surgical robot. Patients average only four days in the hospital for most operations. Because the breastbone is not divided, there are fewer restrictions post-operatively and patients can resume normal activities more quickly.
Minimally invasive cardiac procedures include:
- Mitral valve repair or replacement
- Aortic valve replacement
- Coronary artery bypass in some patients
- Atrial septal defect closure
- Cardiac Tumors
Benefits of minimally invasive surgery include:
- Shorter hospital stay
- Less pain
- Lower need for blood transfusions
- Faster recovery/quicker return to daily and professional activities
- Decreased use of pain medications
- Decreased risk of infection
- Smaller incisions with minimal scarring